Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 2: Question 2


I am a strong believer in social justice and the idea of standing firm on equality regardless of the adversity that might present. That being said, I am not a big fan of offensive terms being thrown around as insults or mockery. I know that its something that’s engrained in our culture and we all hear it growing up, but it still doesn’t make it okay to use them.

I have a friend who loved saying words like “retard” or “faggot.” Every time I’d hear him say it, I’d cringe a bit but never had the courage to confront him about it because I was afraid of damaging our relationship. I also feared the possibility of him taking out some aggression on me by using terms that I wouldn’t like.

I saw myself forced to do some thinking. The more that I became aware about oppression and how those terms only enabled it, the more I felt uncomfortable whenever I heard him say them. I had to make the choice between letting him know how I felt about his ill taste of hurtful words, or just suck it up and let him continue doing his thing. Then I came to realize that I had no choice but to tell him. Why would I want to hold on to a friend if I wasn’t going to ever be comfortable around him? Needless to say, we had the conversation and it made us both uncomfortable. Thankfully, in the end the love that held our friendship together helped him understand my needs and helped me be forgiving if he ever slipped up.

-CesarCOMM41

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cezar,
    I understand where you are coming from in regards to those words. I use to use those words in a way to just kind of fit in with everyone else, then I ran into the same situation you are talking about. Someone who was offended by those words came up to me and talk to me about how it hurt them and the impact that those words made on their life, and how much those words actually offended them. I now have changed the way I talk around everyone because the way this person stood up for what they believed in and told me how they felt. In these type of situations it is hard to stand up for what you believe in and you made a hard choice but in the end you help stop verbal abuse.
    -Mike Ross

    ReplyDelete