Friday, September 28, 2012

Week of September 24-30: Question 3

My favorite topic from this week's reading is Empathy. Empathy, as stated in the text, is the ability to enter into and understand the experiences and emotions of others. I have had to use this a lot in my life. Like I have stated before, I am very much dedicated to social justice and working towards a much more equal world. When you have privilege, it is often easy to bask in it and not notice how much power you actually have. It also makes it hard to see other people's forms of oppression. I think that empathy is one of the main things that helps solve that issue. What the book also states is that it can make us more understanding and compassionate people. We can be more flexible to others' desires and needs. It is a very positive value that can create a lot of change in our world.

3 comments:

  1. Empathy is a very sensitive topic especially reasoning with empathy. It is a strong emotion that many people let get to them especially when it comes to making an important decision. When an individual displays empathy towards another person, it shows a lot of power, and I agree with you on this one. One must use empathy for decisions that involve more feelings like family, while it should not be used for deciding decisions in the business world. However, it does help solve a lot of issues and because we are made as understanding and compassionate people, it is easy to feel empathetic towards one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ability to show empathy is really a great tool. The empathy that most mothers show to a child is great and brings about security. The security that someone is there for you and will help you gets up. When we growing up the understanding of experiences, and emotions of others. This empathy to share experiences, and emotions help to shape others. Furthermore, you may need to have a helping hand and know that people are will to share experiences, and emotions help out a lot. While, oppression and a more equal world may need to teaching more than just a giving system. I want to elaborate I hear someone say, “when you give a man a fish he eats for a day, but when you teach a man to fish he can eat for a life time.” Not everything is easy as it sounds, I use too think help the world. Yet, I went only to a homeless community to film, you may be surprise about what they truly say to you. They are not all radical they know reason. You may find it as stunting knowing what you find there. I will not elaborate because I don’t feel it is my duty to state how I feel. Your statement was good thanks….:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete