Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 3: Question 3


One concept that I learned in this weeks reading was deductive arguments. It is something that many of my teachers have brought up and talked about, but also something that I sometimes have trouble constructing. I feel that when I write, it tends to be more open ended, so I don't usually practice deductive arguments. The way that deductive arguments work is rather simple, and it had never been explained to me as straight forward as it’s written in the book. Hopefully I grasped the concept correctly:

In a deductive argument, the conclusion has to be true only if the premises are true.

Here’s an example that I came up with:

Cesar goes to San Jose State. All San Jose State students get an Eco Pass. Cesar gets an Eco Pass.

While the book has explained this to me a lot better than others have, I am still struggling with it a little bit. Hopefully with more practice and application I will get it down.

-CesarCOMM41

1 comment:

  1. Hey there CesarCOMM41, I feel the same way how at first I really did not know how deductive argumentation worked until the book explained it to me clearly. The example you gave was a really good one too. You really cannot argue against what you said since the first two premises are true. When I write I also usually leave my writing open ended. I try not to, but it happens. Surprisingly for me my teachers have not spoken much to me about deductive argumentation. It might be since it is my second year here at San Jose State University. Can't see what interesting concepts we will be learning the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete