Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 2: Question 1


While I think that President Barack Obama’s views on same sex marriage are more progressive than any other president I’ve witnessed in my lifetime, I still don’t think that they are as inclusive as they need to be. I see a couple of conflicts here, however, and can understand why perhaps Obama’s views aren’t necessarily conflicting with his beliefs in equal rights and opportunities for all people.

The term “marriage” is originally a religious term identifying the union of a man and a woman, which is where the problem begins. I think that he is trying to take the approach of making everyone happy-give the conservative/religious crowd ownership of their beliefs on the term, but also give gays and lesbians equal rights as everyone else.

I do appreciate Obama’s desire to fulfill everyone’s needs, but if our government is willing to accept “marriage” as a term for a legal union between two people, they should be able to separate its religious origin from its meaning. Our country is not supposed to be regulated by religion or religious beliefs.

Obama can respond to Nava and Dawidoff’s argument by saying that he wants the same protections for all people, but giving those protections different names. I don’t believe this to be fair or just. There is no reason for any person to be alienated by giving their rights a different name.

-CesarCOMM41

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Obama is trying to keep both sides happy. He maybe contradicting him self, but this is those kind of topics that can get out of control if his decision doesn't meet one's side acceptance. His views aren't necessarily straight forward but that's what he will do to keep them happy.

    I like your view on the term "marriage" and how you brought up if out government were to accept marriage between the homosexual community that they should be able to separate its religious origin from its meaning. That would be an interesting scenario, but I would think that would become another problem for those with the religious beliefs. Still an interesting thought if it would come about.

    ReplyDelete