Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week of October 1-7: Question 2


One of my favorite rhetorical devices ever is sarcasm. It flows out of my mouth naturally, so I use it on a daily basis. Sarcasm is using insults to cause irony, as stated in the book. Just yesterday, I was at my parent’s house. My mom asked me if I could give our dogs a bath and brush their coat after. I responded saying, “sure mom, and I’ll make sure to do the dishes, laundry and mow the lawn as well.” While I had no problem doing the task that she asked of me, I said it hoping that she would simply say never mind and not make me do it.

Another rhetorical device that I use is hyperbole. This uses exaggeration to make the facts seem more extreme than what they really are. While it is true that I probably need to get more sleep, I often state, “I’m so tired, I only slept like, two hours.” The reality of the situation is that I slept around 6 or 7, but it still wasn’t enough for me to feel rested.

-CesarCOMM41

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cezar,
    Just like me i also chose the two topics of Sarcasm and hyperbole! Sarcasm just as it is for you just flows out of my mouth, and i partly believe that's because that is how i was raised. When i talk to someone it’s hard for me not to be sarcastic, i am a huge jokester and to me it is just fun to give someone a hard time threw sarcasm. The next thing hyperbole is something I learned from this chapter but I also use these phrases from time to time. When I was growing up my mom always used hyperbole to lighten up the mood.
    -Mike Ross

    ReplyDelete