Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week of October 15-21: Question 3


This week I will be focusing on social errors and biases. I am very much interested in which was people perceive those who are different from themselves and how groups of people are clumped together because of some similar attributes. While I am very dedicated to social justice and equality, I recognize that I am a biased person myself and have to fix that. We have been so conditioned to make judgments on people based on one characteristic that it is really hard to stray away from that. It makes us more comfortable than to think we don’t understand somebody completely. Another issue that this brings up is how we only respect those people that we see are like ourselves. We only see our experiences and identities as important and relevant, leaving everyone else marginalized and in the background. I think that I have been really good about straying away from this kind of mentality. It is important to recognize that nobody has an easier or harder life because everything is relevant to each experience.

-CesarCOMM41 

1 comment:

  1. I also think it’s more than a little disappointing how people naturally judge others before they really know them. Whether we mean to or not, we what we make associations with the way people look, how they dress, or perhaps how they talk and more often than not those associations are off base. Stereotypes don’t seem to be helping this much. Giving everyone a general idea about how a group of people are supposed to act only serves to narrow their view of the world and the people in it. I try to be better than that, to not judge someone before I know them, but I fall into it as well.

    ReplyDelete