Saturday, October 6, 2012

Week of October 1-7: Question 3

One of the topics in this week's reading that really caught my attention is nonverbal communication. I had never put much thought into this before, until recently. My friend happens to be a graduate student in the Communications program, and he gets things out of my through my nonverbal communication. This term describes the action rather thoroughly: it's what we communicate without being verbal. In other words, it's what we say without speaking and using our bodies. I am often unaware about my nonverbal communication, which makes me a horrible liar.

When I am feeling a little bit aggravated or angry, my face goes rather serious. It's something that is hard for me to control and I don't really notice that I do it. I'm always in the belief that my face looks the same. When I'm angry, I think my expression is normal, but people always ask me what is wrong. It's something that I think I need to get better at and hopefully will find ways to do so.

-CesarCOMM41

2 comments:

  1. I have also found that I’m bad at concealing my nonverbal communications. There have been plenty of time when I have been talking with my friends or family and, without my having said anything, they knew I didn’t agree with them. It catches me off guard because I like to think that I know how to put up a fairly good mask of indifference. I think my face gives something away when I’m listening to people. It plainly tells them whether or not I like what they are saying. It’s probably something that I’m going to have to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize it until now how much nonverbal communication I do with people. When I am walking to class everyday, and I see one of my friends or classmates, I usually exhibit nonverbal communication. It could be a casual head nod, or even a smile, but it is a very mundane for me. When I speak to another person, my facial expression displays that I am attentively listening. Even little things like a yawn could also be a nonverbal communication because it is communicating to other people that you are tired or bored. There are certain nonverbal communication signals that should not be demonstrated in public. For instance, even throwing up the finger is a bad nonverbal handsignal and demonstrates apathy.

    ReplyDelete